Saturday, June 27, 2009

The Fish Pond

The past two summers I have really struggled to keep the pond water clear. The problem began right after I enlarged the pond by a couple of feet in the spring of 07. I've always had crystal clear water before, so looking at this pea green soup was extremely frustrating. The water was so murky, the fish could only be seen when they came up to eat. I finally gave in a few weeks ago and made a larger, above ground filter. I also added some water lettuce to help shade the water from the sun. In addition, I have begun using a chemical product that kills the algae but is safe for fish and plants.

This is what my pond looks like today.

The plants have been beaten by hail three times, so they are looking a bit rough. The fish are all doing well, despite the stressful water conditions. But I have not had a single frog this year. I removed about a dozen small frogs last fall, taking them to a nearby lake, as they will not survive the winter in my pond. This spring I watched and waited for the frogs to return, but they never came. I miss them.

1 comment:

Kathleen Coy said...

Your pond looks great Tammie! We are planning to re-do ours next year. Replace the liner (it has holes,) add a top skimmer because of all the trees around it, and re-do the waterfall. After we do all that, hubby says we can get fish. :-)

I hope your frogs come back!