Thursday, August 27, 2009

Late Summer Update


Wow It's been a month since my last post! I've really enjoyed this very pleasant summer. The past few months have just flown by. We have had more rain and much cooler temps than normal so the yard looks like a jungle right now. It rained last evening and again this morning so I went out and took some photos of the wet garden.


This rue plant is covered in caterpillars which will become Giant Swallowtail butterflies.
Giant Swallowtail


I love this lime green Creeping Jenny. It is growing in an old, shell-shaped fountain basin, which was starting to fall apart, so I sat it on the ground.


The weather this year has been to cool and wet for the lavender.


It's amazing how these tight Honeysuckle buds will open up to reveal this...

The cool rain has brought on these late summer blooms.


The Russian Sage and Black-eyed Susans have been blooming for weeks.


And this barrel is overflowing with shade loving Impatiens.


The state flower of Nebraska is the Goldenrod. This version is called, 'Wichita Mountains'. It is a large plant and has just begun to bloom. I will get a picture of it in it's glory in a week or so.

A closer look at the Goldenrod flower.






2 comments:

Pussycats and Angels said...

Hi Tammie
Your garden looks wonderful... lots of lovely colour. I can't believe summer will soon becoming to an end, but I love all the seasons, they all have their own little surprizes.
Love your blog and will visit again soon.
Warm Wishes
Julie

Corner Gardener Sue said...

Hi Tammie,
I just discovered your blog while checking to make sure it's Wichita "Mountains", and not "Falls" for the goldenrod I am labeling on my blog. I am going to check to see if you are still blogging. I live in Nebraska, too, and there are not many garden bloggers here. I sure like your background.